Custom Search

Friday, June 20, 2008

Tips On What Not To Do When You’re In A Rock Band


One of my gigs...

The music industry is full of tricky, out for themselves, back stabbing people who would just as soon use your face as a stepping stone to something better. I know it sounds cynical, but take it from someone who has been in the music business since she was a child, most of the horror stories you hear are true.

Let me give you just a little background info on my life before we go into the tips on what not to do when you’re in a rock band.

I was born into a musical family that included a father who was in the music business. To protect the innocent (and not get sued), let’s just say that he was a steel guitar player who toured with two big names in country music. I was trained to sing at a young age and preformed and toured regularly as a child. I saw many ‘friends’ of my dad and our family do unseemly, under handed things to further their own career. Dad was no exception to this rule. So I should have learned early to watch my back.

I stayed in the music realm and went on to have several of my own, and to join a few, bands as I got older. I should have paid attention to my earlier life lessons. However, at this late stage, now I know what not to do if you’re in a rock band.

1) Never let someone join the rock band that has a jealous girlfriend/boyfriend.

There seems to be this stigma that people in a rock band take every opportunity to indulge in propositions of the sexual nature. This is, from my experience, mostly true. Adding a jealous girlfriend to the mix can cause numerous visits from the police department of the city you happen to be touring in.

2) Never loan money to your rock band mates.

Lets face it…..unless you have an established contract with a reputable label…..musicians are broke and you’ll never see your money again.

3) Never trust a new found friend of your rock band mate with your equipment.

The equipment needed to perform anywhere is expensive. And since musicians are usually broke, guard it with your life. When you tour you tend to ‘collect’ so called friends. In my experience, when these friends offer to load equipment ‘for nothing’, it tends to disappear. Nothing is for free!

4) Never get romantically involved with a rock band mate.

This just turns into pure hell! Don’t do it!

5) Never sign anything without having it looked over by a professional you trust.

When we first begin our journey into the music business, everything is exciting as we are chasing that dream of the rock and roll lifestyle. However, this business is every man for himself and even your ‘friends’ will gut you and hang you out to dry. Always protect your interests!


It's Like This....According To Me...

This is a more serious look at what not to do when you’re in a rock band. There are some funny tips on this subject and I will provide those and some stories of what happens on the road at a later date.

For now…..Rock On!


Hilarious Rock Star WannaBe's...(don't try this at home)



No comments: